<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Turner reflects 
Updated with a beautiful quote below.

He met with his riding board and blogged it.

I found these paragraphs important:
At the end, they agreed one person should speak for the group, so that the message would be consistent, so that people would know they supported their member. Despite his predilection for trouble. Despite his refusal to be cowed last week in Ottawa. Despite all.
Of course, listening, it was not lost on me at all that what they were doing was providing me with a mirror of national caucus – a group of different individuals, all agreeing on basic points after sharing many divergent views, deciding to speak to the outside world with one voice. That way, they concluded, their message would be safely delivered. Without freelancing.
I reflected on that – how could I do otherwise? I was the prime minister in microcosm, and they were acting as one group to assist me. For this I was grateful indeed. And I am sure Stephen Harper – at the end of this challenging and surprising week – is reflecting as well on the group that he counts on, of which I am one. Have I done enough for him?

So does that mean that there isn't going to be one member of the riding board going on CTV five times a day saying that they disagreed with what Garth was doing and that they might have to consider leaving the riding executive?

Garth concludes:

Of course, I told them in person I am not leaving the Conservative caucus. I will fight from within, speak out when it’s called for and do all I can to truly represent the people who gave me their authority to go to Ottawa.

I thought this post from Angry was pretty good. If Turner did leave the Conservative caucus would he resign his seat and bring about a by-election where he could seek 'ratification' from the voters by running as an independant?

UDPATE: A comment in Garth's blog had this quote:
It was typical media tactics and it made me think of a comment Brian Mulroney said one day. The Tories were about to bring in the GST. The country was in media haos. Protests were everywhere. The polls were a disaster.
Mulroney stood erect and impeccable at the podium in the caucus room. Outside, just beyond the double doors that sound-roofed the room, a phalanx of media waited, convinced some MPs would buckle under all the pressure, walk up to the forest of microphones, criticize their besieged leader and open the floodgates of party dissention. Just what any good reporter would want, of course. Blood.
And Mulroney said: “If you want to be a media hero, just walk out those doors right now, go down the hall and do it. I guarantee you’ll be on the front page of every newspaper tomorrow and the lead item on the CBC tonight. Go ahead. I’ll still be here. But if you want to be a hero for Canada, then you will stand by me.” He stared into the eyes of everyone in that room. Anyone who harboured the remotest thought of mutiny felt it evaporate under his gaze. Leadership.
Being a media hero is easy, fun and has instant rewards, I thought. Belinda Stronach. Carolyn Parrish. Scott Brison. Getting on the front page of the Globe and Mail and the National Post is a breeze. Just say what they want.
Of course, I told the reporter Harper is our leader. We have only one leader at a time. The leader leads – it’s his job. A candidate’s highest job is to get elected.

The writer? Garth.

Garth replied to the the person that left the comment with this:
Ron: I defy anyone to read my very words that you have quoted and say Garth Turner does not support Stephen Harper. Who’s the hypocrite, my Conservative friend? — Garth

First off - You Garth. You've made your point how many times? You were on CTV again on Sunday - is that about a dozen appearances on that network alone? "Being a media hero is easy, fun and has instant rewards, I thought."
Secondly - Don doesn't like people who talk about themselves in the third person.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?